Baked at Home! Foods Toxic to Dogs That You Should Avoid

According to the RSPCA, 61% of Australian households own pets, with dogs most common. 

Humans love dogs more than other humans; that's a fact.

Owning a dog is one of the greatest joys you can experience. They are the ultimate example of unconditional love, and we want to treat them with the best dog food possible!

But do you know what dog food your pooch can and can't eat? 

Unlike Scooby-Doo, your dog can't eat everything in sight! 

Discover the foods that are toxic to dogs and why our all-natural dog biscuits mix is the pawfect treat for your pooch. 

Foods Toxic to Dogs


While Aussies love a bit of smashed avo on toast, our dogs do not! Avocados are incredibly harmful because they contain persin, a fungicidal toxin. Ingesting this toxin will cause serious health problems, even death. 

While dogs are more resistant to persin than other animals, it doesn't mean they're 100% safe for your pup to eat either. If you are an avid avocado consumer, make sure everybody in your home knows to avoid giving the family dog any avo leftovers. 

Chocolate and Caffeine

Giving your dog a piece of choccie is a huge no-no, especially at Easter. While rarely fatal, a piece of Cadbury choccie can still give your dog serious problems.

Chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine; both can cause your dog's heart rate to speed up and stimulate the nervous system. 

One of the first signs to look out for is restlessness and hyperactivity. If you believe your dog has ingested chocolate, take him/her to the vet ASAP. Letting them know how much and what kind of chocolate they ate will help your vet determine the next steps for treatment. 


Citrus ranks high on the "what not to feed your dog" list. While a bit of fruit now and then may seem harmless, it's not. Citrus fruits contain varying amounts of citric acid. 

In smaller quantities, your dog may suffer from an upset stomach. Larger quantities are more problematic, resulting in central nervous system depression. If you have any fruit trees in your backyard, consider covering them in netting. 

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs, but it doesn't affect all dogs the same. Although the exact cause of the toxin reaction is not known, it can cause your dog to develop acute kidney failure or even death. Of course, this depends on how much they have ingested. 

Other signs that your dog is affected include lethargy, anorexia, dehydration, and anuric renal failure. These symptoms will usually take hold within the first 24–48 hours. 

Alcohol and Yeast Dough

Ingestion of raw yeast bread dough can cause toxicity in dogs. Raw bread dough can cause stomach expansion, resulting in tissue damage. That's because yeast dough can rise and cause gas to store in your dog's digestive system, causing it to bloat. 

Even small amounts of alcohol found in drinks can be highly poisonous. Signs of intoxication include vomiting, restlessness, excessive panting, muscle tremors, and even seizures. 


Xylitol is an artificial sweetener and is highly toxic to dogs, even in small amounts. After ingesting xylitol, dogs can develop symptoms in just 30 minutes, although it can take 12 hours. 

Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia, seizures, liver failure, and even death. While xylitol often comes in small sachets for your morning flat white, many products also contain xylitol. They include certain baked goods, peanut butter, drink powders, tomato sauce, and some syrups. 

Onions and Garlic

Every part of the onion is highly toxic to dogs, including the flesh, leaves, juice, and powders. The same goes for garlic, shallots, leeks, and chives, raw, cooked, or otherwise. 

Ingesting any of the above in large amounts can result in red or brown urine and faster breathing. If you notice any of these symptoms, take them to the vet ASAP. They may need oxygen, a blood transfusion, and an IV fluid to help them get through it. 

When you're sauteing onions and garlic for dinner, keep an eye on the pan. This is especially true if you have a cheeky labrador who has an elephant-sized stomach.


You can feed your rabbit kale, but keep it away from your dog. Pet owners often assume kale has the same nutritional benefits when fed to your dog, but this couldn't be further from the truth. 

Feeding your dog large quantities of kale can cause health issues, including kidney and bladder stones. That's because kale contains calcium oxalate, which is also present in spinach, parsley, leeks, and quinoa. 

While kidney and bladder stones are generally treatable conditions, is it worth the risk? 

Your local vet would beg to differ. 

Dairy Products

Many dogs are lactose intolerant so only very small amounts of dairy can be tolerated. While the occasional piece of cheese or spoonful of milk may not seem like a big deal, you should avoid dairy products in large quantities. 

There are varying degrees of lactose intolerance in dogs, with the severity of symptoms depending on how much dairy was consumed. Look for the following signs: diarrhea, vomiting, gas and bloating, and a decrease in appetite. 

If you suspect your dog has ingested too much dairy, offer small amounts of food and water. If your dog's discomfort worsens, it's time to go to the vet. 

For Pawfect Treats, Choose Beau's Dog Biscuit Bake Mixes

With so many foods toxic to dogs, it's enough to scare the pants off you! To avoid a trip to the emergency vets, stick to homemade dog treats. 

Making dog food free of harmful toxins has never been easier with Beau's Biscuits. 

Beau's dog treats are all-natural, grain-free, and positively pawsome! We'll supply the dog biscuit mix, and all you need to do is add water and eggs. How simple is that? 

Each 1kg pack makes 100+ mini bone cut biccies. Our dog treats are Aussie made with $1 from every pawchase going to a pawsome charity. 

Buy our pawfect dog biscuits mix today

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published